Vape pens are developed from the original e-cigarettes and are made of glass, metal, or plastic. They are slender, cylindrical, and pocket-sized devices that vaporize a liquid that is contained in a cartridge. They use a power source that heats the vape tank or the cartridge and produces vapor. They can be disposable or have rechargeable batteries. Are you wondering how to use a vape pen? We are here to help you with that.
The rechargeable vape pen was a revolutionary device that took over the vaporizer market because it has a longer running time and larger battery capacity. Vape pens also allow users to swap cartridges with different liquids.
Whereas a disposable vape pen is an all-in-one unit consisting of an internal battery, a pre-filled tank, and a coil. They are not refillable and are to be disposed of after use. Let’s dig into some details and find out how to use a vape pen.
How Does A Vape Pen Work?
If you are new to vaping, it is obvious you would want to know how vape pens work. Before you get to know how to use a vape pen, you must familiarize yourself with its parts to get a hold of its mechanism. Vape pens consist of a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, an atomizer, a cartridge or vape tank, a sensor, and a mouthpiece.
In a suction-activated vape pen, the battery will send a signal to the sensor and the temperature of the atomizer to rise when you puff on it. This heats the e-liquid in the cartridge and vaporizes it. This vapor passes through the device’s airway and into your mouth when you inhale it. Then, you can exhale the smoke normally.
Using a push-button vape pen is a little different from the draw-activated ones. It needs some practice to work with the heat setting of the vape pen so that you don’t burn your lips. If you are using it for the first time, try referring to the user manual to avoid complications. If you have bought a push-button vape pen, this is how to use a vape pen with a button: ‘
You have to click the button five times to switch the device on. Notice if the light on the button is flashing. If yes, the battery is activated.
Clicking the button three times will change the heat setting of the vape pen. This makes the liquid transform into vapor.
To inhale the vapor, you have to push and hold the button while you puff on it and release it when you are done.
To turn it off, you have to pulse the button continuously five times again. You will see the indicator light will get switched off, and the battery will be shut down.
How To Use A Vape Pen For The First Time?
Trying a vape pen for the first time can be intimidating or some individuals. If you are one of them, we are here to help you figure out how to use a vape pen. Here’s what you have to do:
- Once you remove the device from its package, you need to charge it using a USB connector. It is wise to take the help of the user manual if you are not familiar with the mechanism.
- Prime the pen: Priming is the method of checking whether the vape pen is running correctly. This is done without any vape juice.
- Take the disposable cartridge and remove its rubber top and screw it on the vape pen to load the device.
If you are using a draw-activated vape pen, it will get activated when you puff in them. They do not require pushing on any button. Though they are easier to use, they do not offer many options in terms of their functionality.
If you prefer using a push-button, then you have to switch it on before use. You can use different flavored vapor that might contain nicotine or other herbs and oils. You can enjoy the vapor until the e-juice runs out and then again replace it with a new one.
What Liquids Can Be Used In A Vape Pen?
Reusable vape pens give you the liberty to use diverse types of liquids in it. Usually, people prefer to use plant-derived substances such as cannabis oil, tobacco, or other herbs and a mixture of essential oils. Some even use dry-herb vaporizers to smoke marijuana.
A combination of substances like propylene glycol, glycerine, and other drugs like nicotine or tetrahydrocannabinol is also used. Propylene glycol and glycerine help in making the e-liquids viscous.
Research has shown that drugs such as THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) that are used for medicinal purposes are more safe and effective when administered through vaporizers. Smoking such drugs causes pyrolysis, which destroys about 30% of compounds. Vaporizing such compounds prevents it from undergoing this degeneration process, and more amount of the drug reaches the body circulation.
It has also been found that vaporizing is safer than smoking. According to studies done, the user is exposed to much lower harmful substances while vaporizing cannabis than while smoking it. The research demonstrated that among patients using cannabis for therapeutic purposes, there were 34% fewer instances in patients using cannabis vape pens.
Let’s see how to use vape pens with different liquids.
How To Use A Vape Pen For Weed?
Weed vape pens contain pre-filled cannabis oil or THC oil cartridges that are compatible with 510-threaded oil carts. To begin, you would have to remove the rubber seal of the cartridge and connect it to the battery.
- If it’s draw-activated, then you can start inhaling right away. But, if it’s the push-button one, then don’t press the button until you start inhaling it. Pressing the button beforehand might carry the risk of burning your lips as the vape pen will heat up.
- Take a small puff at a time and wait for a few seconds to see the effect. If you are new to this, it might cause some distress at first, but you would get accustomed to this.
- If the vape pen allows multiple voltage settings, start with the lowest setting to avoid lip-burns.
- If you are thinking of using dry weeds and other dry herbs, here’s how to use marijuana vape pen.
- There are special vape pens available that are compatible with dry herbs. Or you can get separate dry herb attachments for your regular vape pens, but they are not very effective at vaporization.
- To vaporize dried flower buds properly, it’s better to use a dedicated portable weed vaporizer. You can also get a good dry herb vape pen designed especially for flowers that will not burn down the buds.
How To Use A Vape Pen For Cbd?
- Using CBD Oils similar to using THC liquid. You can easily get CBD oil cartridges (don’t confuse it with the CBD oil tinctures).
- You would have to remove the rubber seal from the bottom of the CBD oil cartridge and attach it to the device.
- Suction-activated or disposable vape pens can be used right away.
- If you are using a rechargeable vape pen, then press the button to switch the device on.
- Hold the button to heat the fluid and vaporize it. Inhale in small drags and wait for a few minutes to assess the effect.
- You do not have to hold the vapor in your mouth. You can simply inhale and exhale it.
- If you are a first-timer, then it’s better to use the lowest voltage setting so that there is a lesser risk of burn hits. The ideal range of voltage is 3.3-3.8 volts.
- You can also use CBD vape juice.
How To Smoke Vape Pens With Nicotine?
Vape pens for nicotine liquid are often used by people who wish to lose addiction to cigarettes. They are available as DL (Direct Lung) or MTL (Mouth to Lung) vape pens or even combinations. These vape pans vary according to the strength of the nicotine liquid they vaporize and administer into the user.
Direct Lung Vape pens provide larger clouds and are used for regular low strength nicotine e-liquid of 3-6gms. In comparison, MTL vape pens use higher strength e-liquids with above 6gms of nicotine.
- Here’s how to use a vape pen with the DL technique:
DL vape pens are larger with low resistance coils. Taking a puff from one of such devices feels like sucking air through a milkshake straw. They create more vapors and are usually smooth and easy to use.
You have to quickly draw vapor into your lungs and then exhale it almost immediately.
- Here’s how to use a vape pen with the MTL technique:
The MTL vapes are comparatively smaller with high resistance coils. While you drag vapor through it, it will usually hit the throat or your palate. You have to draw vapor into your mouth for a few seconds slowly.
Close your mouth and hold the vapor in for a moment. Then, open your mouth to breathe in the vapor and then exhale to release the vapor.
How To Load A Vape Pen?
People tend to prefer rechargeable vape pens over the disposable ones because it allows you to use it for a long time. All you have to do is buy e-juices with different flavors. If you prefer buying a reusable vape pen, then it is vital to know how to load a vape pen.
Let’s see what are the ways you can reload the vape pen cartridges.
- You need to disassemble the vaporizer’s tank first by unscrewing the airflow base at the bottom of the vaporizer. Then pull out the coil.
- Take a dropper to fill the e-liquid in it. Put a drop of the liquid onto the cotton hole in the coil. Then, hold the coil horizontally and let the liquid soak into it.
- There will be about six holes where you need to put the e-liquid. This method is called coil preparation, and it helps in preserving the life of the coil.
- Then, unscrew the top connector part of the tank, which will reveal the access points for the e-liquid.
- Hold the dropper against the inside of the tank holding the tank upright. Fill in the liquid until it reaches the horizontal hash mark on the side of the tank.
- Make sure that the liquid does not enter the central tube of the tank. The central tube is the airway of the vape pen. If you accidentally drop the liquid in that compartment, you might inhale the e-liquid in the liquid form instead of the vapor form.
- Reassemble the vaporizer and wait for 2-3 minutes before you use the vape pen.
Vaping can be a great way of relaxing and relieving stress. Vape pens are also used for therapeutic purposes. They are much less harmful than smoking as it brings lesser toxic chemicals into your body. However, ng it for the first time can be a little menacing.
We hope this article has helped you to get a hold of using a vape pen for the first time.