Vape pens are a popular way to consume cannabis and to smoke nicotine. It is also an excellent way to administer drugs like THC and CBD. In case you are using a rechargeable vape pen, knowing how to charge a vape pen is very important. Though the process is quite easy to understand, if you are new to this, it can be a little challenging. To make things easier for you, in this article, we would discuss the process of how to charge vape pens.
What Are Vape Pens?
Vaporizers, more commonly known as vape pens, are small devices that vaporize substances for inhalation. They were initially created as an alternative to conventional cigarettes but are also a popular drug administration method for therapeutic purposes.
The vape pens are battery-operated devices that have a cartridge attached to them containing oil or other e-liquids along with an atomizer. When activated, the fluid in it gets heated up and vaporized in the atomizer. This is when it is inhaled.
Vape Pens are available as disposable or reusable devices. People prefer to use the reusable ones because they offer usage for a long time with large battery capacity. If you prefer using the reusable ones too, then one of the most important things you would have to learn is how to charge a vape pen.
Before we jump into the methods and ways of charging a vape pen, we must know a bit about their batteries and how we should care for them.
Vape Batteries: What Should You Know About Them?
Vape batteries are not different from the regular batteries that we use in our daily life. A battery’s life and its effectiveness depend on a lot of factors. The completeness of the battery wraps, the selection of the batteries, the battery case, and your charging habits, all impact the vape batteries. Let’s see how to charge a vape pen and what to do to take proper care of its battery.
How To Charge A Vape Pen?
The batteries in a vape pen can be internal or externally located. Before you charge your vape pen, check whether it has a removable battery or an internal one. You can simply refer to the user manual provided by the manufacturer or check your vape pen itself.
If your vape pen has an in-built battery, it will look like a tube attached to the atomizer. If the battery is detachable, it will be similar to the batteries we use for TV remote control or a toy car. Both batteries have different techniques for recharging. Let’s see how to charge a vape pen with an in-built or an external battery.
How To Charge A Built-in Vape Battery?
Integrated batteries in vape pens are mostly 510-thread batteries with a universal design compatible with various cartridges. However, some may have other batteries compatible with different cartridges, coded with different colors, texts, or markings.
- Firstly, you have to plug the AC adapter into an electric socket. Then, insert the USB cable into the adapter and connect the other end into the charging port in your vape pen.
- In some models, you would have to unscrew the battery from the cartridge to access the charging port.
- It would take up to 1-4 hours to get the vape pen fully charged, depending upon the model.
- There might be an indicator light that will blink when the vape pen is charging. This light will shut off when the battery reaches 100%.
- Once the battery is fully charged, remove the battery from the charging unit and put it back onto the cartridge back into the vape pen.
How To Charge A Removable Vape Battery?
If your vape pen has a removable battery, then you would have to open the casing of the vape pen to access the battery. The opening of the casing is usually located on the bottom, or the side of the vape pen. Once you find that, press the thumb latch or the tab to pull it open.
Usually, external vape batteries need to be housed in a separate charging device. The most common type of battery used in vape pens is the 18650s batteries. They are slightly bigger than the standard AA batteries but look alike.
- Plug-in the power cord into the electric socket. The LCD screen will display that it is connected to power. These LCD screens also display charge duration, current percentage, and other battery functionalities. Or, if it has an indicator, it will light up when connected to the power outlet.
- Now arrange the batteries in the slots of the battery compartment according to the indicated pole position.
The battery will take up to 3-4 hours to get fully charged. However, the charging time might vary according to the brand, the duration you are using the vape pen, and the capacity of the battery.
- Some vape pens have a “Soft Start” mode, consider using it. This will charge the battery at a slow rate and will prevent battery burn out, which comes as a risk of fast charging.
How Long Do Vape Batteries Take To Charge Fully?
The time a vape battery takes to charge depends upon its size, capacity, and type of battery. It might take as minimal as 30 minutes to get the battery fully charged or can take up several hours too. Usually, vape batteries take three hours to charge on average.
How Do You Know When Vape Battery Is Fully Charged?
A vape pen with an integrated battery usually has a LED light which indicates whatever the battery has to tell you. If you see a red light flashing, it means the battery is low. That’s your cue to plug the vape pen into a charging point.
If your vape pen has an external battery, you would have to remove it from the casing and orient them in an external charger and then plug it into a power outlet. When the battery is fully charged, the indicator will flash a green light. As soon as you see that green light, make sure you take the battery out of the charging point.
How Long Will A Vape Battery Last?
The battery life of a vape pen depends on its model and its capacity. But how long the battery will last depends upon how long and how often you use the device. Usually, a fully charged vape battery lasts for about 300 puffs.
The efficacy of the battery also depends upon how old it is. If you have been using the vape pen for over a year, you might see that the battery will run out faster. Thus, it is suggested that you should replace the vape battery after one year of usage.
Want To Extend The Battery Life? Here’s What You Have To Do?
Over time, you will find that your vape battery will not last as long as it did before. Now that you know how to charge a vape battery, you would want to know how you can extend the battery life. Here are a few tips that you can do when you see that your battery isn’t lasting as long as it used to:
1) Switch Off The Batteries Soon After Use
People tend to leave their vape pens switched on when not in use as they think that it is not using power. Whereas, in reality, the battery remains in use even in standby mode. Thus it is suggested that the battery should always be shut off when not in use. If your vape pen has an auto-shutoff feature, it will take 10-15 minutes for it to automatically turn off the device.
2) Keep The Battery In Regular Use
Like all the regular batteries, vape batteries lose their efficacy if it is kept unused for a long time. Make sure you use the device at least twice or thrice a week to extend the run time of the battery.
3) Never Overcharge The Battery
One of the most important lessons to remember while learning how to charge a vape battery is that you should take care that you do not allow your vape pen to charge overnight. It is a common habit among people to keep the battery charging even after it is fully charged.
4) Never Let The Battery Drain To 0%
A fully drained battery takes more energy to recharge which puts the battery under more stress. This, in turn, reduces the efficacy of the battery. It is suggested that you aim to charge the device when the power level reaches below 50%.
5) Make Sure The Battery Is Clean
The batteries in vape pens often get dirty. Refilling the vape cartridges might cause oil spills which might get the battery soiled and makes it weaker. Weaker batteries have to work harder and take more energy to charge.
Worried About The Safety Of Your Vape Pen And Its Battery? Here Are The Dos And Don’ts
Having the right knowledge about a device and its battery to keep it safe from any damage. Batteries often come with the risk of an explosion when care is not taken properly.
- Buy a good quality vape from a reputed brand. Don’t go for the cheaper ones. This carries a lesser risk of harm to you and also reduces the risk of explosion.
- A little homework is good! Before purchasing a vape for yourself, do some research about the device specifications and features.
- Buy a good quality charger instead of the cheaper ones. A good smart charger reduces the risk of battery damage and also offers some safety features than a regular charger.
- Keep a battery case handy. If you have to carry your vape batteries on a trip, try transporting them inside a battery case. Batteries can get damaged, or even explode if they come in contact with other metal objects like coins or keys in your backpack or pocket.
- Weather can be hazardous to the batteries too. The fluctuating temperature might damage the batteries or even cause explosions. The optimal temperature to store your spare batteries is between 50-115 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Never used old/expired batteries or faulty batteries. Check for the battery wrapping, whether it is frayed or damaged before putting it to use.
- Never leave the battery unattended while charging to avoid overcharging. Refrain from overnight charging.
- Do not charge the batteries near inflammable objects. Also, keep your batteries away from sunlight or excessively humid areas.
- Never charge the batteries with a different charger meant for other devices. Mix-n-matching of chargers might adversely affect the batteries because each charger has a different voltage output, which might not be correct for your vape pen.
Where Should You Buy Vape Batteries?
Genuine batteries might be a little expensive, but they are undoubtedly the best ones for your vape pen. Though the fake batteries are cheaper, they might harm the device and slow down its working capacity.
It is recommended that you should buy the vape batteries from a licensed e-cigarette and vape pen shops. This will keep the device safe from any potential damage. Also, certified battery shops will provide you with a warranty that will get you replacement batteries in case of any damage.
How To Dispose Of Drained Out Vape Batteries?
The disposal of batteries is a critical issue for our environment. Casually, discarding the battery can cause damage to the environment as it contains many toxic chemicals. Thus, old vape batteries must be disposed of in dedicated waste bins. The sanitation workers would then be able to recycle the batteries properly.
The Bottom Line
Over the years, people have adopted vaping as a source of both fun and relaxation. Rechargeable vape pens have been popular for a long time due to its large battery capacities and longevity. Taking care of its battery is of utmost importance which we often choose to neglect.
An unattended and neglected battery gets easily damaged, which hampers the vape pen too. We hope this article has helped you understand how to charge vape pens with integrated batteries and how to charge vape batteries that can be detached.